October 22, 2005

So I'm sitting in a café tonight eating some pumpkin pie and drinking a latte (I burned my tongue, comme toujours, but that's kind of irrelevant. Okay, completely irrelevant but I needed to mention it because it hurts). The pie arrived without whip cream - whaa? When I asked the server about the lack she explained that they didn't "do" whip cream there. Uh. Huh.

Really, there should be a warning about that sort of thing. I mean, pumpkin pie comes with whip cream. That's just the way it is. It's sort of like being at someone's house and they offer you coffee or tea but don't tell you they're out of milk until a steaming cup of black, undrinkable substance is before you. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the hospitality of being offered a beverage but I would have made a different choice had I had all the necessary information. Given the choice between black coffee and the murkiest tap water, I'd choose the water. Or recently at one of my favourite burrito places they didn't tell me they were out of cheese until my burrito was ¾ made. I'm just too polite to walk away at this point (though not too polite to bitch about it later). If they'd have told me at the beginning of the transaction, I'd have gone for sushi (I think I just realized why they didn't tell me). Eating that burrito made me feel bad for vegans because burrito minus cheese equals suck.

Like the pie. I wouldn't have chosen pumpkin pie had I known there was no accompanying whip cream. It just doesn't taste right. They could have a sign near the pie or the server could have mentioned it when I ordered it. C'mon, have you ever seen a photo of pumpkin pie sans whip? I haven't either. But once it's in front of me, I'm too uncomfortable to send it back and end up munching at it dejectedly. I just want my expectations managed - and apparently, as I read this rant back to myself, a lot of dairy.
Filed in:

No comments: