April 10, 2004

Another busy week finished. Plus a long weekend. Plus sunny, warm days. Plus a holiday that involves copious amounts of chocolate. Yipee!

I picked up Mum at the airport on Wednesday morning before heading off to work. It was good to see her and I felt a large load lift off my shoulders when I got to hand the care of Izzy back over to her. I worked a long day on Thursday then managed to have dinner with my friend Christoph whom I haven't seen for several years. It is totally shocking that he's one of my favourite people, a close friend since University, he lives in the same city as me but we haven't hooked up in years. I just don't quite understand what happens in friendships except that you have different interests and lifestyles and just gradually drift away.

I came to the realization the other day that Theovis and I have been together for 10 years now. That seems like a really long time, but it doesn't feel like it could be nearly that long. It also means that I have known all the people I met around the same time, who I think of as newer friends, for 10 years as well. It's weird. WEIRD!

On Thursday night, after my reunion dinner with Christoph - at a great Greek place on West Broadway called Kalamata - I hooked up with Jessica and some of her work friends for sangria and dancing. Much drinking - eventually involving vodka shots - and dancing ensued. We started off at an all-girl dance at the Wise Hall (near Commercial). A very lovely - and very confident - gal wearing nothing but pasties and a thong bikini was offering body shots of goldschlager in the centre of the room. Paradoxically, I have not seen that many mullets since my high school yearbook (I grew up in small town BC in the 80's - what ya gonna do?). We eventually left so that the straightest girl among us could have some guys to ogle but since the line up at the Odyssey was so long we decided to head back to our host's place where we could dance to her vast mp3 collection. Everything started winding down fairly quickly so I hopped into yet another cab and went home to my sweetie, who was still up playing video games despite it being a work night for him. I drank some water but not nearly enough and woke the next morning feeling pretty foggy and slow.

Yesterday I poked around with not much energy before heading off to acupuncture. It still isn't doing too much to help me so we're taking a more aggressive approach with more frequent and intense treatments to effect some change before my next bout of evil cramps. She also put in a couple points for my hangover and gave me some homeopathic remedy to help flush the alcohol out of my system. I don't know if it was the treatment or the time I spent sitting in the sun reading beforehand but I headed home feeling more crappy than ever and eventually ended up with a raging migraine headache that I was thankfully able to sleep off. I definitely understand why I don't do the partying very often anymore.

No comments: